Pronounced “awful” the word Offal describes organ meat. There are many nutritional benefits to eating organ meat. It is nutrient dense in Beta-Carotene (Vit A), B-2, B-3, B-6, B-12, CoQ10, iron, copper, phosphorous and selenium. This week we will be completely stocked up on organ meat and will be offering reduced pricing on some cuts. The recipe below looked and sounded so good, I am keeping some tongue just for myself!
The following recipe was adapted from two websites. Visit the website by clicking on the titles below and find other delicious and healthy meal ideas.[Omnivores Cookbook](https://omnivorescookbook.com/beef-tongue-recipes) [Allrecipes](https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/236880/slow-cooker-lengua-beef-tongue/)
• 1 beef tongue
• 1/2 big onion, sliced (White or Yellow)
• 5 to 8 cloves of garlic
• 1-2 bay leaves
• Sea salt to taste
1. Put beef tongue, onion, garlic and bay leaves in a slow cooker and add enough water to cover the contents. Cook overnight or 8 hours on low. You can also gently boil it on the stovetop for 2 – 3 hours, until the beef tongue turns very tender.
2. When the tongue is cool enough to handle, peel off and discard the rough skin.
3. Cut the tongue in 1/2-inch slices across grain then into 1/2-inch cubes. or shred it with two forks.
4. When ready to serve, heat oil in a large nonstick or cast iron skillet set over medium-high heat until shimmering. Add tongue pieces and cook, stirring occasionally, until it is browned on all sides, 2 to 3 minutes total. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Serve with fresh chopped cilantro and your favorite hot sauce over corn or flour tortillas. Tortilla’s should be pre-warmed individually in a dry frying pan over medium heat, turning once.