One of our favorite Sunday breakfast recipes, this quiche is easy to make and hearty enough for a full meal. Perfect for a holiday brunch!
- 6 free-range chicken eggs
- 1 homemade or purchased pie crust
- ½ lb pastured pork breakfast sausage
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- 1/8 tsp ground black pepper
- ¼ cup diced onion
- ¼ cup sliced mushrooms
- ¼ cup green or red pepper, diced (you can also substitute spinach, arugula, kale, or broccoli)
- ½ cup mozzarella cheese
- ½ cup cheddar cheese
- ¼ cup Swiss cheese
- Preheat oven to 450 degree F. Line the un-pricked pastry shell with double thickness foil. Bake for 8 minutes.
- Remove the foil from the pastry shell and bake an additional 4 to 5 minutes at the same temperature.
- Remove the pastry shell from the oven and reduce the heat of the oven to 325 degrees F.
- In a large skillet, cook the pork sausage, drain any excess fat, and then add the onion, peppers, and mushrooms. Sauté until the onion is almost translucent.
- In a large bowl, whisk the 6 eggs, garlic, salt, and pepper. Mix in the cheese. Add the pork and sautéed vegetables and combine well.
- Pour the quiche mixture into the pasty shell. Bake in the preheated over for 45 minutes. To prevent the pie crust from burning, cover the edges with foil or a pie-crust cover.