THE HEALTH BENEFITS OF FERTILITY AWARENESS BASED METHODS
By Craig Turczynski, Ph.D.
Fertility awareness methods (FABM) utilize the natural signs of the body to determine the stages of fertility and infertility but they also help women to monitor their health. Think of it as body literacy and it empowers the woman to know her own body physiology. Modern medicine for women’s gynecological health and couples trying to conceive have not looked at the underlying cause of disorders but rely on expensive procedures, surgery, chemicals and hormones to relieve symptoms and bypass issues. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fertility_awareness.
Interestingly, many people have recognized the need to remove food that has hormones or chemicals in it from their diet, but many are still taking hormones to regulate their fertility. This can result in a negative effect on both their health and the environment.
Benefits of FABM include:
- Regulating fertility without hormones, devices and side-effects.
- Assisting with achieving pregnancy.
- Awareness of your unique physiology and an ability to determine how nutritional or lifestyle factors affect that physiology.
- Helping women find coping strategies when they are entering menarche or perimenopause.
- Facilitates greater spousal intimacy because it requires more involvement and communication.
- Avoiding more estrogen from being excreted into the environment.
- Reduces spending for birth control.
You may already know a specific form of FABM or even be practicing one. Many more women and couples are becoming aware that these natural methods exist, much like new mothers became aware of breastfeeding consultants before the knowledge became part of mainstream post-partum care. To explain more about how FABM work, I will give you details of one of the methods which has been in practice for over 50 years.
THE BILLINGS OVULATION METHOD®
The Billings Ovulation Method® was developed by a team of physicians and scientists in Australia in parallel to the development of the oral birth control pill. The team consisted of Dr. John Billings, Dr. Evelyn Billings, Dr. James Brown and Dr. Erik Odeblad. They studied over 850,000 hormonal cycles of women and published dozens of peer reviewed articles. It is based on the normal functioning of the cervix as a means of monitoring the changes in hormones that occur every cycle. The woman learns to sense these changes naturally as she goes about her daily activity. The observations can either be recorded on a paper chart or a computer app. If she is experiencing dietary or lifestyle factors, these factors can also be recorded and then presented to her healthcare professional as a diagnostic tool.
I am a teacher of the method and I am also helping the organization with development here in the United States. We have an ambitious goal of providing education to 250 medical and nursing professionals so that women and couples have a trained healthcare professional who can utilize their observations as part of their medical treatment. If you are interested in learning more or getting involved in a very worthy cause, please e-mail me at Craig@BOMA-USA.org
TRAINING THE NEXT GENERATION OF HEALTH CARE PROFESSIONALS
Training one healthcare practitioner influences over 4000 patients per year on the benefits of Fertility Awareness Based Methods!
The Billings Ovulation Method Association Goals:
- Train 250 nursing and medical students.
- Help practicing physicians implement FABM into their practice.
- Change the status of women’s healthcare.
- Give couples better access to a safe, healthy, and scientifically proven reproductive health alternative.
A gift of just $900 will train 1 medical student and will impact the life of over 90,000 patients over the course of their career.